Saturday, February 21, 2015

Comm 204: Eric Pinashin Informative Speech Reflection

Good afternoon,

After countless hours of preparation for my and buildup of anticipation for my informative speech on Diabetes this past Friday has finally dissipated, I think that I was able to achieve the goals that I had in mind, but like always, there is always room for improvement.

My main goal was to inform my classmates on the different types of diabetes, and the prevalence of it in the United States. Every speech that I heard so far did an outstanding job delivering their speeches and informing us on a new and diverse topics, and I hope that I was able to achieve the same results.

Starting with the positives; I feel that incorporating visual aids and brief text onto my powerpoint slides helped the audience follow along with what I was saying, I was articulate with my words and projected my voice so everyone was able to hear me (I didn't see anyone falling asleep, which was a positive), kept my posture faced towards the audience, instead of staring at my powerpoint slides throughout the duration of the presentation, and I used a quick sampling quiz at the beginning of my presentation to grasp the attention of my audience.

Now time for the negatives. To start, I tried to shorten my presentation as much as possible without trying to leave the class without questions, but I still went over my time limit, and had to skip one slide out of my presentation. Second, I should have probably placed the keyboard on a table in order to transition from slide to slide, instead of holding it in my hands, as this may have been distracting to the audience. Third, even though I did articulate my voice, I should have spoke much slower, since I know that I am a fast talker. I feel that my fast talking probably did not make sense to some people, or this just lost the attention of the audience. Fourthly, I skipped one or two points on my presentation overall, but I had realized that this one or two points would have cost me another minute or two of my already over the time limit speech. And finally, I had only one oral citation of the CDC towards the end of my presentation. I had specifically practiced on reciting the names of the researchers that I wanted to quote, but I guess I got in the moment and was rushing through my speech, which made the names of the researchers that I wanted to quote just exit my mind completely.

I feel that the general consensus was that I should have made a much shorter speech, even if this did leave out some key points which the audience may have had questions with or may have been left confused and yearning for answers. Working on speaking slower and making a shorter speech, instead of rushing to get through my presentation is what I will work on for my persuasive speech.

Overall, I feel that my informative speech went well, especially since I did it on a topic that has hit close to home on many occasions, and I am researching topics that I can present for my persuasive speech, which I will probably talk about prescription drug abuse in America.

Since I will be out on Monday, I wish everyone the best of luck on their speeches on Monday, and can't wait for the next persuasive speech!

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Thanks,

Eric Pinashin

No comments:

Post a Comment