Friday, February 27, 2015

Informative Speech Reflection on SI Models and Body Image

Going into the second speech in the class was definitely a little bit less nerve-wracking than the first because I've gotten several chances to speak in the last few weeks and also to know everyone better. I think any pressure that I was experiencing stemmed from the fact that I knew that I would be graded and that I would have to speak for an extended amount of time. I really enjoyed preparing for this speech in particular because I was able to discuss a topic that is very important to me. I've always been interested in the effects of media on society and I thought my topic on plus-size Sports Illustrated models was very relevant to today. The idea of embracing people of all sizes has gained a lot more recognition in recent media, so I thought my audience would be able to connect with this topic. 
With respect to the content of my message, I think I did a decent job of covering all of my main points and including transitions, but I did not articulate them as well as I planned due to nerves/overthinking everything. I loved seeing audience reactions because it was really reassuring and I was able to feed off of their energy. I wish that I had practiced a little bit more so that I could've elaborated on certain points, but overall I'm happy that I was able to cover all of the main points.
Since my previous speech, I've needed to work on projection, and for this speech I tried to maintain a decent volume, hopefully it sounded as loud as I thought! I also had a bad habit of turning to my screen when it was not necessary. 
All in all, I feel like I've improved since my first speech and I also learned so much going into it. I enjoyed watching all of the other speeches as well and finding out what my peers' passions are. It was really interesting to see how unique everyone is, whether it was regarding their topics or their methods of delivery. I'm looking forward to taking the next step and listening to another set of great speeches. Great job everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment