Wednesday, April 22, 2015

U.S. territories and the right to vote

          I chose to speak about U.S. territories and the right to vote because I wanted to talk about a topic that would be better understood with the help of visuals. It was important for me to use Guam as an example because I wanted to show the class pictures of where I grew up. Although I wasn't born on Guam, I have two younger siblings who were and, as a result, are unable to run for presidency. As long as you reside on Guam, you have a voice that will not be heard. It's unfair and the citizens of U.S. territories should not be stripped of their basic rights. 
          The preparation process was a little uncomfortable and I believe it's because I found it difficult rehearsing in front of a mirror. I decided to try this method because close friends recommended it and said that it would help me get used to being watched. And they were right, to a certain extent, but it didn't really feel the same when it came down to actually giving the speech. As far as the actual presentation, I wasn't too pleased with my performance. I was proud of my content but I wasn't satisfied with how I presented it because I fumbled with some of my thoughts (due to nervousness). In preparation for my next two speeches, I'm going to just remember to keep the speech natural and casual as if I'm having an educating conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment