Wednesday, May 6, 2015

KarpasD Project Final: Sunbathing

Making the video with Eric was a tremendous experience. Because we were in the middle of studying for other finals we buckled down and got to work. The team worked well. I handled the cultural side of suntanning, while he covered all the scientific aspects. Making a speech in a full video format was an interesting experience. I got to work with my wheelhouse, so I felt much more comfortable doing this than making a speech. That is not to say that I have enjoyed making speeches. My skills in public speaking have strengthened a lot, and I owe this class to that. But, it was a cool experience to finish off the semester doing something that I plan on doing with my life. I also got to learn a lot more about sunbathing than I thought I would. I owe much of that to Eric’s research and Brooke’s comment about Coco Chanel. Eric made SPF something I could understand. I just assumed the higher the better, but he showed that there is an actual scientific side of making SPF. More than this, that story about Coco Chanel has been supported on many different Internet sources. That blew me away. I am in a fashion class and we are talking about how magazines like Vogue are the arbiters of fashion. The story about Chanel becoming the authority of tanning makes perfect sense now. Overall, this was a great way to finish everything up. I enjoyed it very much, and I wish more classes would do projects with partners or teams. Doing things in pairs or groups is the future, so why not incorporate that into academia? Great job, Eric!

No comments:

Post a Comment