Friday, May 1, 2015

The secret to living a more fulfilling life (Persuasive speech)

This speech was probably my favorite to give because excessive phone use when with company is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I find it rude when a person gives their full attention to a mobile device instead of the people they are choosing to be around. I think this topic is very pertinent to this class because we are a part of the generation that is guilty of doing this. I'm not perfect and I will admit that I am guilty of committing this "crime." But I will also say that I'm very aware of how excessive cell phone use affects those around you and we can thank my mom for that. My mom was the "cellphone cop" and it all started when I was in the 6th grade after I got my first cellphone. She would always tell me to stop using my phone when I was at the dinner table and/or when her and I were in the car. At first I abhorred her (like really . . . I hated hearing her say that phrase) because I just wanted to use my phone and remember, that was back in 2003 or 2004 when all you could do was play Snake or send an SMS. Years later as I started driving with my friends, I realized how right she was to tell me to put down my phone. It was at that moment when I realized my mom felt like a chauffeur. All she wanted was to spend quality time and talk with her daughter, not drive in silence because said daughter was too busy trying to win at Snake. 

This speech was also the most enjoyable for me to give because I felt like I didn't have to think too hard about its content. So when I got stuck during the speech and couldn't find the word I wanted to use, it was easy for me to get back in the rhythm. I'm not going to lie, I also think presenting this speech was the easiest because I had already been speaking to class for some time. Despite the easier time I had giving this speech, I definitely ran over time (like in my previous speeches) and that was frustrating because I didn't think I would. It was definitely because of the clip I showed at the beginning of the speech. Granted, I could've stopped the clip earlier, but I wanted the class to really feel the message that it was sending because seeing brings people one step closer to believing. I wanted the class to see the impact that excessive phone use can have on others around them so that when I presented my speech, they would be more inclined to WANT to put their phones down. 

This class has definitely taught me a lot. I learn by taking things that I observe from others and utilizing it to better myself. I really enjoyed listening to others speak because it opened my eyes to different approaches and techniques that I could now adopt into the way I think or speak. 

Thank you Cynthia for a memorable semester! 


No comments:

Post a Comment