Sunday, March 29, 2015

Persuasion Speech Reflection

I definitely felt more prepared for this speech than for the first speech I had given, which is most likely due to the fact that I had time to focus on it over spring break. I also thought my topic was not something that I was unfamiliar with, so when it came to researching for the material, it did not take too long. Surprisingly I also found a scientific journal article regarding my topic. Additionally, because Kondo's book was released this January, there weren't as many articles on this new de-cluttering phenomenon, so it was easier to sort through the different arguments people had. However, I did have difficulty in the beginning trying to figure out how I wanted to approached this topic, but after deciding so, while it took a lot of time, organizing the information was not too hard. I think the structure of my speech this time made it easy for me to transition to the next point as well as tie it all together in the end. I don't really remember if I actually "ummed" during my speech, but I know that before giving the speech, I reminded myself to not do it so much.  Just after hearing so many people's speeches and the way that they introduce their topics has allowed me to be more flexible and creative about it. I used to think that certain kinds of introductions were meant for only certain personality types, but I have learned such thinking has only restricted me. So I hope to go more out of my comfort for my next speech (however that may look like). I thought maybe my mentioning of Kondo's extreme methods at the end may have detracted from my argument, but nonetheless I thought I did improve in terms of delivery. Overall, I think I've learned the need and importance of knowing what my style of communicating is. Once I find it, I think the next step is to accept that that is the way that I communicate.  So ideally, it would be nice to have that figured out by the next speech, but it probably will take more time than just that. Hopefully, for this upcoming next assignment, I will be able to at least be more confident than the now 2 times that I've given a speech. 

No comments:

Post a Comment