Saturday, January 24, 2015

Eric Pinashin Comm 204 Introduction Speech

Good afternoon,

After presenting my speech, I felt a slight sigh of relief, but then began to contemplate about the details which I left out during my speech. One day on my commute back home on the subway, I thought this would be the perfect time to construct and thoroughly think out my speech. I began by pulling out my crumpled college essay which I carry with me in my backpack. As I began to read my speech, I knew that not only was this over the 90 second limit, but that I was giving a mini autobiography to the class, so I decided to just focus on everything from the 12th grade on.

I could've focused on one topic, such as my pursuit to start my own biotech firm, how I buy and resell cars on Craigslist, how I love my job as a private tutor, or my journey to being a first generation college at USC, but I wanted to give my audience a more broader view on the person that I am, without disclosing too much detail. I feel that I spoke a bit more slowly in my speech than I do with my other speeches, but I know that I can slow it down a bit more in order to articulate and annunciate my words more clearly. I thought I made pretty good eye contact with everybody, and tried to move my eyes throughout the classroom, instead of just staring at the invisible clock at the back of the room. But I need to work on keep my hands within the "box" as Cynthia had mentioned, because I don't want that to become too much of a distraction.

I think the biggest challenge I may face with public speaking, is that I am a person who likes to talk a lot, but if I am timed with my speeches, I need to learn how to cut down a majority of the words and get my message across in a shorter, and more effective means of communication. I also would like to throw in some anecdotes, in order to lighten up the tone a bit in my speeches to not sound too serious.

I didn't get to hear anybody else's speech since I was out that day, but I bet everyone else did a great job, and I am looking forward to hearing people's informative speeches coming up soon.

Thank you,

Eric P

No comments:

Post a Comment