Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Taking a Step Back

            Last Tuesday night, I sat on my couch and tried to procrastinate writing my Introduction speech. I kept asking myself what my peers would want to know. Would they want to hear about the time I rode my bike into a rose bush or perhaps the time my preschool friend and I gave each other bowl cuts? No, I want something substantial, yet not overly dramatic. After much consideration, I opted to discuss an event that I deem the most influential experience of my life: my close call with a prosthetic foot. With a 90 second time limit, it was important to explain the basics of the story while adding a few central details. To ensure I covered all the information I planned, I wrote a few bullet points on a small index card. Remembering speech techniques from my high school career, I attempted to capture my audience with a funny, yet relatable quote and a follow up question. It felt a bit gimmicky, but I hoped it would be appropriate for the nature of the speech. After telling the light-hearted side of my story, I closed with the same quote from the opening, reminding my audience to “literally, take a step back”, a piece of advice I wish I had followed years ago. In regards to the delivery of the speech, I think I did well. I tried my best to avoid my typical pitfalls: swaying side to side, touching my hair, and speaking too quickly. However, there is still room for improvement. I look forward to hearing some feedback from both my classmates and Cynthia.

           As an audience member, I anticipated some feelings of secondhand embarrassment and anxiety for those with speech apprehension. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I never experienced any of these emotions. Even the most timid student found their confidence when speaking about their passions and hobbies. Shaky voices became strong and clammy hands became tools for gestures. I once dreaded listening to my classmates nervously ramble for 90 seconds but quickly came to realize it wasn’t long enough. These speeches helped me better understand my classmates and future audience. I believe that this exercise will make speaking to the class more relaxed because I now see that we share the same fears and the same intentions. Our class is a safe place where we all deliver the support we crave.

No comments:

Post a Comment