Friday, January 23, 2015

"The fact that I didn't talk about the Honda S2000 for more than 10 seconds is good enough for me" speech

In reference to the above title, I tend to ramble on and on about how the Honda S2000 is, to me the greatest car ever, and I actually was planning on talking about why the car is so important and significant to me, but then I remembered that's not what's actually interesting about me because that's an object which I don't even own and is not necessarily relevant *angrily shakes fist at sky and curses abnormally high insurance rates for my age group*


                                          It really is that good, take my word (or the 10 seconds from my speech) for it. 

The last part of my speech was what I wanted to convey as the most important point. The part where I talked about how part of the reason why I joined Neon Tommy and why I wish to become an Automotive journalist is so I can bring out the automotive enthusiast in the reader. After many years of talking to a wide variety of people about cars, from people who aren't all that interested, to people who have begun to graze the surface, to full on they-totally-understand-my-jargon enthusiasts, I've decided that spreading the message of "Driving is not about getting to point A to point B, it is the point." What I said about music and driving taking you to another dimension of sorts really was true. If music can tantalize the soul and soothe the mind, why can't driving? This is something I firmly believe everyone in the classroom can benefit from. For all my future speeches, the persuasive, informative and visual topics I plan to use automotive related topics that are relevant and useful to the class, and maybe, just maybe everyone in class will be better informed and have a newfound interest and cars and driving. Maybe. 

In preparing for my speech, I mainly learned about time constraints, and that 1 minute and 30 seconds goes by really quickly and that I would have to make some serious adjustments. So I shoehorned in the last part of my speech at literally the last minute, dropped the part where I made a small list of cars I liked that weren't the Honda S2000, dropped me building a PC from scratch and a few other items. I also learned that shoehorning something you originally memorized and planned to talk about for Neon Tommy last week into a speech I was about to give in about 20 seconds was not a very good idea, even though I thought I managed to pull it off. In doing this I also learned to actually prioritize, as I dropped things that I felt weren't as important as others.


No comments:

Post a Comment