Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Persuasive Speech reflection

I think I improved slightly from my last speech in terms of the actual presentation. My persuasive speech went more smoothly, and I did not run out of time. Running through my visual aid speech multiple times prior to the day of presentation will be extremely beneficial to me. Once I perfect the extemporaneous aspect of the presentation, I believe my speech will be much more effective and engaging.

Stephanie’s speech on lowering the legal drinking age definitely got me to think about the topic more. I disagree with her argument that the drinking age should be lowered to age 18. She provided one reason why experts argue the drinking age should be 21. Stephanie explained that experts believe alcohol consumption by anyone under 21 could stunt cognitive development; however, she neglected to provide a rebuttal. I believe the drinking age should exist in its current state, partly due to the vulnerable nature of an underdeveloped brain. Furthermore, Stephanie argued that at the age of 18, people are mature enough to make safe decisions while intoxicated. I disagree. At the shy age of 18, I recall making poor decisions. For example, I made the regrettable decision to get a tattoo. As a 21 year old, I deeply regret my choice – a choice that was made with impulse. At 18, people are hormonal and emotional, and may not be mentally mature enough to drink alcohol with proper precautions. I think being allowed to consume alcohol at age 18 will only exacerbate bad decisions teens tend to make.


In many ways I agree with Kayla’s argument that people should have the authority over when and how they die when terminally ill, but there are many illnesses that are currently under researched or little knowledge exists. Therefore, life expectancies are not always certain. Moreover, there are always counter examples in people that make unexpected recoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment